Artificial Colors in Candy


Today I observed a child consuming "Skittles" (Mars, Inc.), which are brightly colored round candies. I wondered how many artificial colors were in these candies so I saved the wrapper, and I found that they contain Sugar, Corn Syrup, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Apple Juice from Concentrate, Less than 2% Citric Acid, Dextrin, Modified Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Coloring (includes Yellow 6 Lake, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 1)Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)

Reading this ingredient list and knowing what consuming this candy could do to my kids is so scary.  All of my children have some degree of artificial color / dye sensitivity.  Holidays like Halloween, Valentines Day and Easter are when worries rise the most but even regular days at school could potentially mean a slip.  My kids have learned the hard way about red 40, yellow 5, blue 1, etc. and are aware of how ingesting these dyes make them feel....or not feel.  We have a trade in policy and that works the best for us.  Saying no is becoming easier and easier as the boys get older but I think if more teachers and parents were aware of the dangers of artificials, we would see less junk for birthday snacks, classroom awards and holiday treats.


Artificial colors are in everything. Do we really know all the health risks that may be associated with artificial colors? 
This will be an ongoing list....Please add to it!
Nerd's Rope . . . - 10 artificial colors (Nestle, Inc.)

Jelly Belly Beans - 9 artificial colors

M&M's Peanut . . - 9 artificial colors (Mars, Inc.)

Skittles . . . . . . .- 9 artificial colors (Mars, Inc.)

2 comments:

  1. I agree with removing the artificial ingredients. My theory is if God didn't make it, then we're not eating it. I've only started the artificial revolt about a month ago and I've found it extremely difficult to convince teachers and even family not to give my son "fake food"

    Following you back!
    Http://wilsonlite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure is hard at first but hang in there. You will see such great results.

    ReplyDelete

mom said, you can talk back